Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Last game of 2008

Decided not to go to the beach with Ingrid and my mother in law today (she is over from Norway)which considering today reached 38 was a bit of a mistake but I did manage to get my first game of the holidays in. I rang Kevin (Battleline Scenics) to see if he wanted a game but he was at work, however James (his 16 year old son) had the day of and wanted to test his newly purchased Viking army against me. James' army has a very long history, I bought it in the UK in 1995 and much of it has been painted by myself, Nathan Vinson and Leroy Simpson. I took it to Norway when I was studying there (2002-2004) and it came back to Australia when we moved back, so it has like the real Vikings been around. A few years ago (3-4 years) I sold it to Nathan as he did not have a complete army to play with, so I gave it to him at a very decent price (he was to give me first offer on it if he ever sold it). James bought it from Nathan who had added some nicely painted units to it a bargain price at MOAB this year, so now it is once more near me and I can game against my old Vikings. Anyway the game was a good one using WAB which I think really suits the Medieval period, heroes play well or fit within this era, I think that the Classical period is less suited for the rules but they can be fun (just keep characters as leadership personalities and not combat killers). James had 6 units of 40 Vikings, 12Beserkers and 24 skirmishers against 7 units of 40 Anglo Saxons, 24 mounted Thegns and 24 skirmishers (I outnumbered him but he had 5100 points to my 4200 points). It was a fun game that went back and forward but I eventually had him, those Vikings are hard to kill (knew I should have never have sold them). Have a good New Years and I will doing a few different periods in 2009 with a Colonial slant. Cheers Scott















No comments: