Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Team Yankee 20mm

Had a great game of Team Yankee at the club last weekend. We played the last scenario from the rulebook where a Soviet tank battalion is trying to deploy from a small forest trail and suprise the American forces. The scenario was played twice with a win either way however in the first game I got hammered by the Yanks and left my tanks burning everywhere.

          First tanks deploying from the trail are quickly knocked out.

         Flanking force of 5 T72s actually last longer than I thought and take out a couple of Abrams.

Soviet tanks try to get through the woods into open country.


Soviet tanks finally break into open ground but their numbers are too few.

Lots of burning Soviet tanks.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

40mm American Revolution

Hey guys I am back after a years hiatus in historical gaming, during this time I have been dabbling in the dark places of GW and 30k Heresy (which has been loads of fun). Back to historical gaming today with a cracking 40mm game of AWI with my gaming buddy Mark Piper. We played a large scenario using the new 'Land of the Free' rules which I rather quite like. Fun game with great figures and terrain and after a hard fought battle victory went to the forces of the King (me). Enjoy the photos of Mark's great collection and I will be back Monday with photos of a large 20mm Team Yankee game we are playing at the club.





Thursday, August 14, 2014

Flames of War: Great War trial

Mark Piper and I meet up tonight for a brief runthrough of the new Great War supplement for Flames of War. Mark has a very large and nice collection of 28mm miniatures for the late war period and we used those instead of 15mm figures. We modified the ranges and movement by an additional 50% and placed 3-4 figures on larger temporary bases to signify units. The game played quickly and was fun and most importantly looked and felt right.

 Mark is going to buy a load of the irregular bases from Warbases to move the figures around and next game we will use his gaming boards that are perfect for the Western Front. We both like Flames of War rules but usually play with 20mm figures, so using 28mm models was a new experience. I know lots of people dislike FOW due to the wall to wall armour but the game is fun to play with a balanced scenario and a step away from the competition mentality.




      British troops on tempoary rectangular bases but the irregular shaped ones looked much better

      British troops on irregular bases. Mark is thinking of buying the bases with 4 slots from Warbases.


                             My female tank recieves 3 hits and I fail all 3 armour rolls, BOOM.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

War of the Ring

Have been playing lots of different games over the last few months but very few historical games and when I do I have always forgotten to take photos. The one Fantasy game that I do play is the now defunct Lord of the Rings game 'War of the Ring' published by Games Workshop. It is a great system that does need some sensible agreement with your opponent prior to a game as it can very easily become over powered and rather silly. I have been a Tolkien fan like many gamers since I was 12 (I am now 45) and this game really brings the world to life. We have 4 local gamers (including myself) who still play the game and like always I have way too many figures. Here are some pictures I took a few months ago using my Isengard and High Elf and Dwarf figures but I am playing a large 2100 game this Sunday and I will ensure I take more photos.

Don't despair about this spread of non historical gaming as I have been taking a break to re-charge my batteries and I am raring to go in building some new 28mm ancient armies. I am also playing a WWI 28mm tomorrow night using the new Flames of War rules by just increasing movement and ranges by 50%.

                                                         Dwarves move forward


                                                                  Isengard pike block


                                                     Slimy Orcs in the service of Saruman

                                                                   More Orcs

                    Orcs in trouble about to recieve a volley at pointblank range

Saturday, May 24, 2014


Just a quick post here about some Sci Fi stuff that Mark and I have been playing. The figures are from the old AT43 range which I have like always bought way too many from the five main factions. The rules used are the very fun and easy to use Gruntz II. Figures on display are from the UNA and Karman factions who are big space gorillas in flyers and power armour.

Force on Force

Mark and I played our first game of Force on Force Thursday night using his great terrain and figure collection. The scenario was based upon the scene in the movie 'Black Hawk Down' where the young American private falls from the helicopter when avoiding an RPG round.

The game starts with two American 5 man infantry squads and one 2 man M60 team trying to get the injured soldier off the table. The Somali Militia reinforcements are randomly rolled for and come on in random positions but can move very fast when out of sight of the American.

The game played quickly once we got used to the turn sequence and did not go well for the small US force who suffered serious casualties. I look forward to playing the other scenarios in the FOF 'Day of the Rangers' book.

     US private falls out of the Black Hawk

     Somali on board forces and reinforcements

    Whilst out of sight of regular troops the Somali militia can move very fast

     The US squads split and and everything goes pearshaped very quickly

   The Somali militia what to unleash a crossfire

    Two squads of militia kill one soldier and wound the other four

     Great game and lots of fun.